Sunday, July 30, 2017

Dory and Nemo Birthday Party

I had so much fun planning Averi's birthday party this year! The first movie that she watched was Finding Dory and she has loved it ever since. Anytime she see's Dory and Nemo she says "I need that" or "I need those." I knew that we had to have a Finding Nemo and Dory birthday party. 

As I started looking for decorations and started planning her party, I really didn't love the colors. Dark blue and bright orange! Denver Bronco colors.

 After a couple of weeks I finally decided that I was going to go with more of a light purple color with lights blues, turquoises and whites with a few dark blues and yellow as accents. I was so much happier with those colors and I'm sure Averi was too ;) haha.
I already had most of the beach decorations because that was my classroom theme when I taught 3rd grade. I had all of the netting, sea shells, and the big BEACH sign that was at the back of the table. 

We put Averi to bed early and started decorating. We started with the tissue paper streamers behind the table. This part took the most time because of all the twisting and taping we had to do. After that set up was easy. We put the table cloth on the table, then the fish netting and sprinkled sea shells here and there. 

Bright and early Saturday morning grandpa got up and drew some Nemo and Dory characters on the sidewalk with chalk. He drew Dory, Nemo, Hank, Bruce, a star fish and a sea horse. These were probably my favorite party decoration. I loved them! 



I bought all of the Nemo and Dory decorations from our local Party City. The streamers, plates, table cloth, happy birthday sign and cake toppers. I looked at the dollar store but they didn't have the wide variety of colors like Party City did. Party City really wasn't that much more expensive. 

I just bought plain cup cakes from King Soopers with dark blue, orange and white frosting. I got the cup cake toppers from Party City because they were WAY cheaper then King Soopers toppers and they were also WAY cuter. They actually aren't technically cake toppers... they are Nemo and Dory finger puppets! But they worked perfectly. 
All week we had been talking about her birthday and how she was going to be turning two! We told her that friends were going to come over and we were going to eat yummy food and cup cakes. 

The morning of her birthday we taped up her bedroom door with streamers and balloons. She was a little surprised when she opened the door and all the balloons feel in on her. 

We went downstairs and grandpa was standing by the front door and she saw the chalk drawings right away and wanted to go outside. She was so excited that Nemo, Dory and Hank were on the sidewalk. She kept showing us over and over again. She also kept coming up to me and hugging me over and over again. That is not like Averi because she never gives cuddles, hugs and kisses. After all of the excitement of the chalk on the front sidewalk we went back inside. 







She noticed the Nemo and Dory Happy Birthday sign that was in our living room with a big Nemo and Dory backdrop. She again came up and gave me a big hug. She knew something was going on but didn't really know what at this point. We kept telling her it was her birthday and she was a big two year old now.

She went into the kitchen and saw that it was completely different. She saw the Nemo and Dory decorations and food on the table. She was so excited and came up and gave me another hug. I loved how many hugs she was giving me throughout the short time she was seeing all the decorations. 



I was a little worried because it was a little overcast and looked like rain clouds in the distance. We had a whole pool / water party planned in the back patio. Luckly the rain held off until a couple of hours after the party.

We put on her party dress and of course she loved it because it was Dory. She has been wanting to wear it the last few weeks but we told her it was for her birthday party.

Averi's friends started coming and she was so excited again! We went out to the back patio and started our pool / water party. One of Averi's favorite things to do right now is dump water from one cup to another cup. Averi had a blast playing in her pool and playing with her water toys and all of her friends. She was a little bit shy considering how she normally is. I think she was a little overwhelmed by all of her friends and everything that was going on. 
She loved when everybody sang her happy birthday and she got to eat her very own cup cake. She sat there so nicely and looked around at everybody singing to her with the happiest little shy smile on her face. Last year she wouldn't even touch her smash cake. She hated having dirty sticky hands. This year she ate her whole cup cake and loved it. Mess and all! By this point in the party she knew that everybody was there for her and her birthday. 






After cup cake time we went inside to open presents. She was so excited and knew exactly what to do. After opening each present she would go up to the gift giver and give them a hug and say, "thank you." 


She had such a fun birthday party. I truly think she loved everything about it.



We love you Averi Jayne! Happy 2nd birthday!


XOXO ~ The Flints



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10