Saturday, January 23, 2016

Free the Boobies

I have been seeing a lot of articles, videos and debates about breastfeeding in public lately on social media. Whether you are for it or against it here are my thoughts.

Boob Talk

What's best for your baby?
Breastfeeding?

Formula feeding?

What's best for you baby is to be EATING!! It doesn't matter if you are a breastfeeding mamma or a formula feeding mamma. As long as your baby is eating, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Breastfeeding isn't for everyone. Every woman has their own reasons for breastfeeding or not. Some women produce lots of milk and some women don't produce enough milk. Either way breastfeeding is hard. Why make it harder? 
In my experience it is way harder to use a cover when feeding Averi. I can't see her, I can't tell if she is latched on correctly, she doesn't like things on her head so she is ripping and pulling at the cover instead of eating...the list goes on and on.

There was a time when I wasn't sure if I wanted to breastfeed or not, if I wanted to deal with feeding my child in public. I very quickly got over that and realized that when I nurse in public I am not showing anymore "inappropriate skin" then the woman sitting next to me wearing a low cut shirt. 

During summer months it is socially acceptable to wear short shorts, low cut shirts with cleavage showing, and high-cut, belly- showing shirts. I see more skin on television, Facebook or when I walk out my front door; yet women who have a breast partially exposed, which is completely covered by their baby's head, makes people feel "uncomfortable"?! Are you kidding me?! Get real! Those same people who complain or are "uncomfortable" about a woman breastfeeding sure aren't whining about women showing "too much skin" or being "uncomfortable" about how women dress during the summer months. 

Each momma is different, and you have to do what works best for you and what makes you feel the most comfortable. If that's nursing in private, nursing in public or nursing covered, Great!! Do what works best for you and your little one!

I don't mind nursing in public. It doesn't bother me, and I don't worry about it making other people feel "uncomfortable." If you don't like it, then don't look. Keep going on about your own business. In less than 15 minutes my baby will be done eating, and you won't have to feel "uncomfortable" anymore. People don't like a screaming baby, and people don't like women nursing in public. You get one or the other.

Almost all states protect you if you choose to nurse in public. Here is a link on Breastfeeding State Laws.  Here is also a quick little article that I found helpful in different nursing situations

Here is a great video about one moms response to being asked to breastfeed in a bathroom.
Funny breastfeeding memes!






 ~ XOXO




2 comments:

  1. hahah, "aint nobody got time for that!" It's so true! I HATE covers too, and my kids always pull them off and I start sweating and stressing and it gets ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha right! I don't even care.

      Sorry I totally just saw your comment today. I'm still figuring out how to work everything. LOL

      Delete

09 10