Monday, August 8, 2016

DIY: First Birthday Onesie & Tulle Tutu

There were so many cute first birthday outfits on Pinterest and Etsy. Averi's first birthday theme was pink and gold and anything glittery! I knew I wanted her tulle skirt to be light pink. I knew that I wanted a white onesie with gold writing.

I continued looking for what I wanted but they were all so expensive or not exactly the way I imagined it looking. The outfits I loved were $40 or more. The more I looked for cheaper version the more I decided that it would be super easy, way cheaper and I could make it the exact way that I wanted it.
I made the tulle skirt for just a little under $4.00 and the onsie for $4.75. (I bought a 4 pack for $9.00 cause I needed more than one onesie for other stuff. If I would have bought just one onesie it would have only cost $2.25.) So the total cost for my daughters first birthday outfit cost under $10.00!!!


Supplies for Tutu:
1.) 3/4 Inch Elastic // Hobby Lobby // $1.29 you can use your 40% off coupon which makes it cheaper too.
2.) 1 Spool of Tulle // Hobby Lobby // $4.99 every other week it's 50% off which makes it $2.50
3.) Needle and Thread
Tutu Instructions:
Step 1: I cut 24 inch strips from the spool of tulle. I just used the width that the tulle came with. I didn't bother making each strip thinner. I used the whole spool. 
**I made my daughters tutu shorter though. I wanted it above the knees and I wanted it to puff out instead of hanging straight down. So depending on how long you want the tulle skirt to be you may need more spools.**
Step 2: Once I was done cutting the tulle into strips I started tying it onto the 3/4 inch elastic. 
Step 3: Fold your 24" tulle in half. Take the center of the folded half to the elastic and bring the two ends up and loop it through. Make sure that you pull the tulle enough so that the loop knot is tight.
Step 4: Make sure you pull the knots through the same direction every time. That way the knots all stay on the same side. 
Step 5: Once you are finished measure it around your daughters waist and see if you need to add more tulle or if it is ready to sew together. 
Step 6: Once it is the size that you want just hand sew the two ends of the elastic together.
Supplies for Onesie:
1.) White Onesie // Target // 4 pack for $8.99 or for 1 only $2.25.
2.) Iron on Transfer Sheet // Hobby Lobby // $4.99 it is 50% off ($2.50) every couple weeks or you can just use your 40% off coupon on one regular priced item.
3.) Iron and Ironing Board
4.) Siccors
5.) Exacto Knife
Onesie Instructions:
Step 1: Figure out the size and font you want your number 1 to be. Once you have done that print it on printer paper and cut it out.
Step 2:  Figure out the size and font you want your child's name to be. Once you have done that print it on printer paper and cut it out. 
*When cutting out the name I had to use an exacto knife because there were such little details.
Step 3: Next, trace your number 1 onto your iron on transfer sheet and cut out with your scissors. 
Step 4: I found it easiest to just tape down Averi's name to the iron on transfer sheet since there were so many small lines and details. I didn't even trace it. I just taped it down and then started cutting it out with my exacto knife.
*Save yourself a step and don't bother cutting out your child's name from the printer paper. Just tape it on and cut with the exacto knife. This will save you time so you don't have to cut it out twice.
Step 5: Place the number 1 and name where you would like them to be on your onesie. Once it is placed exactly how you want it, cover the iron on sheet with a cloth like in second picture below (that way it doesn't get stuck to your iron).
Step 6: Make sure you are ironing all of the small details and corners long enough for them to stick to the onesie. 
Step 7: Start pulling off your cloth slowly making sure no edges come up. If they do, lay back down your cloth and iron that part a little bit longer. 


That's it! It is that simple. Then you have a beautiful customized onesie and tutu! 


Click HERE for her birthday party photoshoot. 


The Flints ~ XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10